MPCL grants Rs. 62.7 million Production Bonus to Sujawal & Badin District Governments
Lt Gen Nadeem Ahmed (Retd), Managing Director, Mari Petroleum Company Limited (MPCL), on Monday July 25, 2016 dispersed production bonus cheques of US$ 499,620 (Rs 52.2 million) and US$100,380 (Rs 10.5 million) to the representatives of district/local governments of Sujawal and Badin, respectively.
The grants mark the start of commercial production of hydrocarbons from Sujawal Block (2467-11). The Block, spread over 2416.43 square kilometers, was granted to MPCL with 100% working interest and operatorship in June 2006. The block encompasses three districts namely Thatta (55.61%), Sujawal (43.65%) and Badin (0.74%).
MPCL drilled first exploratory well Sujawal X-1 in the Block in June 2010. Well testing resulted in commercial discovery of hydrocarbons. In 2014, the Company made another hydrocarbons discovery in the Block at well Sujjal-1. Currently, drilling of third exploratory well Sujawal Deep-1 is in progress.
The Company has carried out a number of different CSR activities in the Block. Some of these activities/projects are enumerated below:
- Rehabilitation of Government Boys High School Var, Ghorabari, Thatta.
- Restoration of five primary schools, adjacent to Sujawal X-1 producing well.
- Financial assistance to STEVTA for the establishment of Petroleum Technical Training Institute (PTTI).
- Rehabilitation of Rural Health Centre, Ghorabari, Thatta.
- Free medical camps being carried out at Rab Dino Maliah Village, Row.
- Donation made to Al-Shifa Eye Trust for free eye surgical camp at Sujawal.
- 50 hand pumps installed in different villages of Tehsil Jati District Sujawal.
- Sweet Water Pond constructed at Haji Mandhrio.
CSR Projects worth Rs 15.4 million in the Block have already been completed while projects worth Rs. 11.9 million are currently in progress.
MPCL has so far spent US$ 45 million (approx.) on drilling of Sujawal X-1, Sujjal-1 and Sujawal Deep-1 and would be drilling 2-3 more wells based on the results of 3D seismic survey in the Block.